Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Autobots, Clean It Up

I am freshly back from seeing Transformers 2 and have to say that I am fairly disappointed. Let me back up and give you some background...

Yesterday's post about me wanting more spiritually, lent itself into an amazing FHE lesson. A month or two ago, I asked Frankie about The Tree of Life and how it related to Adam and Eve and Lehi's vision. With the question long forgotten, he surprised me two weeks ago with an answer that could have honestly been the basis of a dissertation. It was so well thought out, organized, scripturaly reference, and not only held the answer I was seeking, but also opened my eyes to other revelations that I had not even thought to ask for. I urged him to share the answer in FHE. This not only allowed others the benefit of the knowledge, but allowed me to hear it again and hopefully cement it in my memory.

With a 10 pm showtime, I had to rush from FHE straight to the movie. I met Gizmo in line and we got amazing seats. When the lights lowered, and the music swelled, so did my excitement. Two and a half hours later I walked out of the theater simply crestfallen. The movie was everything I had hoped for in the heart-thumping, gun wielding, explosion crazy, saturated film that you expect from Micheal Bay.

What I did not like, however, was the unnecessary crudeness. It was just plain vulgar. His mother used profanity for profanity's sake, jokes were not witty but raunchy for no reason, and is there any functional reason that the ultimate machine would need a pair of testes? I can accept many things in a movie; blood, gore, no plot, incongruencies. I am fine with it all. I am not even going to claim that I do not watch vulgar movies from time to time. But it feels so tasteless when the movie could have been just the same without it.

It reminds me of when we went to see Hancock. The language was totally unnecessary to the plot of the movie. I can understand language if it is a frat movie, or if the climax of the film needs to express extreme frustration and the writers are not the most creative. But to ruin a film that would have been just fine with a kinder line, it just irks me.

Tonight, every joke and reference from this PG-13 movie stung like the lash of a willow branch. My hard earned spiritual high was crushed by the entertainment that I had chosen. All of the intense labor that someone else put into assisting me with my quest for knowledge was wasted. It makes me wonder, if I had not gotten so much from the lesson tonight, would I have even noticed the content of the movie? That thought gives me pause because I have never really been a stickler for self-censorship. It might be a though worth pursuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment